The Abbott Government’s disregard for the climate and the Great Barrier Reef is criminal, said the Australian Greens today as the Abbott Government approved the Abbot Point coal port expansion and the Curtis Island gas processing facility.“The Abbott Government has sacrificed the climate and the Great Barrier Reef for overseas mining companies with its approval today of the world’s largest coal port and another CSG plant in our Great Barrier Reef,” Senator Larissa Waters, Australian Greens environment spokesperson, said.“Tony Abbott has given the big mining companies exactly what they want and left the rest of us with coal for Christmas.“The Prime Minister is ignoring the World Heritage Committee’s warnings about the mass industrialisation of the Reef, and is inviting a World Heritage In Danger listing.“The coal to be mined from the Galilee Basin and exported through Abbot Point each year which will create more CO2 emissions a year than produced by both Denmark and Portugal combined.“The Abbot Point coal terminal expansion will see 3 million cubic metres of seabed dredged up and dumped in the Reef’s World Heritage waters.“Even though dredge spoil moves around once dumped, so can smother seagrass beds and coral, the location of dredge spoil dumping site hasn’t even been specified in the approval, which will alarm fishers and tourism operators alike.“And the Curtis Island CSG plant will lock in more water-destroying CSG mining and see even more ships exporting fossil fuels through the Reef to exacerbate climate change.“The big mining companies are being allowed to treat our Great Barrier Reef as a dumping ground for dredge spoil and a shipping super highway,” Senator Waters said.The Greens will seek to move the Abbot Point coal port approval tomorrow morning in the Senate as a Matter of Public Importance.[mappress]Press Release, December 10, 2013
CARLOS Brathwaite, Windies Tt20 skipper, expressed his frustration as he felt close decisions were going against his team through the course of the two limited overs series – ODIs and T20Is – on the Bangladesh tour.Even as the tourists won the T20I series 2-1, with a 50-run win in the decider in Dhaka, a controversial umpiring decision took centre-stage.Chasing 191 for a win, Bangladesh had got off to a quick start, erasing 54 runs off the first 3.5 overs. However, what was to be the final ball of the over in which Oshane Thomas had already conceded 22, Liton Das got a top edge and was caught at mid-off only for the on-field umpire to signal a no-ball for overstepping.Soon enough, however, the big screen at the ground displayed that a part of Thomas’s foot was behind the line. It was the second time in the over that Thomas was incorrectly called for overstepping.Brathwaite, wasn’t pleased after looking at the replays and asked for DRS. Confusion ensued as the third umpire and the match referee too intervened in a passage of heated discussion where the play halted. Eventually, as per the rule, which doesn’t allow no balls to be reviewed unless the appeal is for a dismissal, Das was given not out and a free hit was awarded.Shedding light into the heated argument in the middle, Brathwaite said, “The rule is that if a no-ball is called it cannot be reviewed or reversed. But if it isn’t called, it can be reversed checking the video. Everyone saw that it was not a no-ball.“For a young man who is inexperienced, Oshane Thomas was under the pump. To finally get a dismissal but the ball has gone to your name as free-hit, to bowl the extra ball with an extra run, obviously it messed his mindset.“As captain, I had to take call for the team. I had to make a stance not just for myself or the team but for West Indies cricket. We haven’t been getting favourable calls or 50/50s since I have been playing cricket. I think it showed that when we played a passionate game by doing the right things, then things happen for us. We need the officials to give what is rightfully ours.“Again, I am not saying the officials are cheating because I think they are professionals. However, I can just call what I see. If we are seeing we are not getting the rub of the green, the 50-50s, then as captain of the ship I will say that.“Sanctions may come and go, but if you don’t stand for something, you fall for everything. If the sanctions are to be handed, I would gladly take it. My teammates need to be stood up for and as the captain of the ship, I will stand up for them,” he added.It was only after match referee Jeff Crowe maintained his stand that the decision cannot be reviewed and Brathwaite accepted his decision, did the game continue. He got all the players in a huddle and had a pep talk before continuing with the game.“I must commend the match referee,” he added. “After we had some stern words, it was resolved. We worked too hard for my team to walk off the field or forfeit the game or series.The decision was to stay on, fight on and finish the game. But I also asked the match referee for five minutes that our team can get their head around playing a cricket game, forget the debacle that had just happened, get past the event and let us just finish the remaining 16 overs. Thankfully it was allowed. It gave me the opportunity to speak to my teammates. It was us versus everyone else.“I was the only person who spoke in that huddle and then everyone started to chime in, everyone said we have to win this game, we have to fight for this. And then you can see what happened afterwards. The first overs were Jekyll and the last 10 or so were Hyde. It was big from the inexperienced group of guys, and I think we can keep them together, teach them how to be professionals, I think we will do well in cricket.”As it turned out, the halt in play affected Bangladesh’s momentum. Even though the free hit was dispatched for a six to resume the contest, a flurry of wickets followed thereafter. It began with Fabien Allen bagging two in two to dismiss Soumya Sarkar and the in-form Shakib Al Hasan, but the carnage was carried forward by Keemo Paul who returned a five-for. Bangladesh dipped from 65 for 1 to 98 for 8 in a space of 7.2 overs before eventually being bundled out for 140.“I knew that the call that wasn’t given was about to change the game (smiles),” Brathwaite explained. “It wasn’t a deliberate ploy to halt the momentum. Looking back, it may have. I can’t say for sure. But at that point, it was about getting the right decision.Firstly, understanding why the decision was made, understanding what the law was, if common sense can prevail against the law, which they said no to, and then finishing the game of cricket.“It would have been easy for our guys to put their heads down and complain about the decision. We didn’t do that. Those 10 guys got together in the huddle and decided to put our bodies on the line and fight for every single ball.”The big question after the no-ball fiasco was whether the law should be amended to ensure that other decisions by the umpires, apart from just the dismissals, should come under the purview of the Decision Review System or not. The Windies skipper believes, the rule needs to be relooked at.“I don’t know what all the rules are pertaining to reviews so I don’t want to tell them how to do their job. But it can be looked at. The laws may be put into question after this incident,” he concluded. (Cricbuzz)
Washington, Jun 12 (PTI) Consuming honey after accidentally swallowing a button battery has the potential to reduce serious injuries in small children, a study has found. Based on findings in laboratory animals, the research suggests that this common household product may significantly reduce morbidity and mortality from highly caustic batteries.”Button batteries are ingested by children more 2,500 times a year in the United States, with more than a 12-fold increase in fatal outcomes in the last decade compared to the prior decade,” said Ian N Jacobs, from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) in the US. “Since serious damage can occur within two hours of ingesting a battery, the interval between ingestion and removal is a critical time to act in order to reduce esophageal injury,” said Jacobs. Due to their size, candy-like shape and shiny metallic surface, button batteries have posed a risk for toddlers for decades. When the battery reacts with saliva and tissue of the esophagus, it creates a hydroxide-rich, alkaline solution that essentially dissolves tissue. Children with an oesophageal button battery may present with symptoms of sore throat, cough, fever, difficulty swallowing, poor oral intake or noisy breathing. This can cause severe complications like oesophageal perforation, vocal cord paralysis and erosion into the airway or major blood vessels. The longer it takes for the battery to be removed, the higher the risk for these children, particularly those without access to hospitals with specialised anesthesiologists and endoscopists experienced in removing foreign objects. The research team wanted to determine successful interventions for mitigating these injuries in both a home and clinical setting and test their effectiveness in a live animal model, in this case, laboratory pigs.advertisement Specifically, the researchers sought palatable, more viscous liquids that could create a protective barrier between the tissue and the battery, as well as neutralize harsh alkaline levels. The team screened various options, including common household beverages such as juices, sodas, and sports drinks, in laboratory experiments.”We explored a variety of common household and medicinal liquid options, and our study showed that honey and sucralfate demonstrated the most protective effects against button battery injury, making the injuries more localized and superficial,” said Kris R Jatana, from the Nationwide Children’s Hospital. “The findings of our study are going to be put immediately into clinical practice, incorporated into the latest National Capital Poison Center Guidelines for management of button battery ingestions,” Jatana said. Prior published studies by this team had tested weakly acidic liquids like lemon juice as a proof of concept. However, many children do not enjoy drinking lemon juice. By contrast, the sweet taste of honey is much more palatable to young children.”Our recommendation would be for parents and caregivers to give honey at regular intervals before a child is able to reach a hospital, while clinicians in a hospital setting can use sucralfate before removing the battery,” Jacobs said. However, the authors caution against using these substances in children who have a clinical suspicion of existing sepsis or perforation of the esophagus, known severe allergy to honey or sucralfate, or in children less than one-year-old due to a small risk of botulism.”While future studies could help establish the ideal volume and frequency for each treatment, we believe that these findings serve as a reasonable benchmark for clinical recommendations,” Jacobs said. “Safely ingesting any amount of these liquids prior to battery removal is better than doing nothing,” he said.”Button batteries are commonly found in households, and they should always be stored in a secured container, out of reach of children,” said Jatana. “Parents and caregivers should check all electronic products in the home and make certain that the battery is enclosed in a compartment that requires a tool to open and periodically check to ensure it stays secure over time,” he said. PTI MHN MHNMHN
Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now Enroll Now for Free March 19, 2014 Google just announced Android Wear, a platform that extends the Android operating system to wearable devices. And already, two of the tech giant’s biggest hardware partners have said they will be releasing smartwatches for the Android-powered platform.South Korea-based LG has announced plans for the LG G, an Android-powered smartwatch. So far, LG hasn’t released many details, other than to say the LG G will be compatible with a wide range of Android smartphones and “will present relevant information to users just when they need it.”LG expects its Android smartwatch to be available sometime in the second quarter this year.Related: Google Gets More Serious About Wearables With ‘Android Wear’The other Android Wear smartwatch comes from Motorola — the company Google bought in 2011 but recently sold to China-based PC maker Lenovo Group Ltd. Motorola announced the Moto 360 smartwatch. Here’s a quick video preview:Other than that, Motorola hasn’t released many details about the device. It says it will feature “a round face and premium materials,” and will be available “in a variety of styles globally in Summer 2014, starting in the U.S.”One common feature among Android Wear smartwatches: voice activation. All a person needs to do is say “OK Google” to activate features like scheduling appointments, sending a text and more. Folks, get ready to get your Dick Tracy on.Related: Pebble (Finally) Opens Its App Store to Android Users 2 min read This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience.
Posted by Tags: Air Transat, Europe Thursday, October 4, 2018 MONTREAL — Air Transat’s summer 2019 flight plans include a boost in the number of direct flights for many of its main transatlantic markets, namely, Italy, Greece, Croatia, France and Portugal.The airline’s summer 2019 lineup also includes new destination Split, Croatia, announced last week.With 27 destinations in Europe and the Middle East accessible from six airports in Canada via connecting flights, Air Transat says it wants to make discovering Europe easier for Canadians.As of summer 2019, passengers heading to destinations such as Nice, Porto and Basel will fly in one of two new Airbus A321neo LR airplanes being added to its fleet.“Our fleet’s transition period that started last winter is continuing. Summer 2019 will mark the arrival of two new Airbus A321neo LR airplanes, benefitting our flexibility and efficiency,” says Annick Guérard, Chief Operating Officer at Transat. “We’re adding Split in response to Croatia’s soaring popularity as a tourist destination, while maintaining our position as a leader in many of our key markets, including the Mediterranean region.”She adds: “While Europe is a huge part of our summer activities, as Canada’s number one holiday airline, we always make sure to offer a wide variety of destinations to our passengers. And that means maintaining our flights to some 20 South destinations, because people love the beaches of Mexico and the Dominican Republic even in the summer.”With its two flights to Zagreb, Air Transat will offer a total of three direct flights to Croatia every week from Toronto, with new destination Split.Here are more highlights of the 2019 program:There will be more direct flights to Greece and Italy, for a total of four weekly flights to Athens (Greece) from Montreal and Toronto. Lamezia (Italy), the gateway to the South of Italy, will be accessible twice a week from Toronto.The airline is increasing its departures to a number of other destinations as well: from Montreal, there will be three flights to Porto (Portugal), three to Nice (France) and two to Basel (Switzerland). Meanwhile, there will be five weekly flights to Dublin (Ireland) from Toronto.By flying direct every week from four Canadian cities, the airline makes London accessible to vacationers with departures from Toronto (daily), Vancouver (daily), Montreal (three times a week) and Calgary (three times a week). Vacationers looking to discover other areas of the UK can count on five direct flights weekly to Manchester and Glasgow from Toronto, as well as connecting flights from Montreal, Vancouver, Quebec City, Calgary and Edmonton.Air Transat is once again offering direct flights from Montreal to the biggest cities in France, that is, Paris (daily direct flights), Marseille (five direct flights weekly), Lyon and Toulouse (four direct flights weekly), as well as Nice, Nantes and Bordeaux (three direct flights weekly). Air Transat makes most of these destinations available to people in and around Quebec City, Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary with connecting flights.As announced on Sept. 24, Air Transat is also set to offer passengers a new product combining air and rail travel, in partnership with SNCF, France’s national rail service. The airline’s customers will be able to purchase a single ticket comprising a flight to Paris plus TGV AIR service enabling them to complete their journey on the TGV high-speed rail network within France or to Brussels, Belgium, facilitating access to French provinces and Brussels on a daily basis. Air Transat and SNCF promise a simple service delivering several benefits: a single booking, a single fare and a single ticket. It will be available as of January 2019, and travellers will be able to book from Canada starting in December.Air Transat will continue its direct flights from Montreal to Barcelona (five direct flights weekly) and Malaga (three direct flights weekly) as well as from Toronto, with three direct flights weekly to Barcelona. These Spanish destinations remain accessible to people in the Quebec City, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton areas via Air Transat’s network of connecting flights. Finally, getting to Lisbon (Portugal) will be as easy as ever with five direct flights weekly from Montreal and four from Toronto.To Rome Air Transat will offer five direct flights from Montreal and seven from Toronto. The Italian capital will be easily reachable for travellers from Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton via connecting flights through Toronto.Air Transat flies direct to Tel Aviv from Montreal twice a week and from Toronto once a week with a connecting flight. Brussels, the Belgian capital, is accessible from Montreal with three direct flights weekly, and from Toronto, Vancouver and Calgary with connecting flights.The airline offers Canadians seven direct flights to Amsterdam, including four from Toronto, two from Vancouver and one from Calgary, along with two direct flights to Prague from Montreal.More news: Consolidation in the cruise industry as PONANT set to acquire Paul Gauguin CruisesFor the past five years Air Transat has been expanding its domestic flights, linking the country’s major cities. “These flights give an increasing number of Canadians access to more European destinations than ever, with connecting flights to Toronto and Montreal, as well as give access to other Canadian cities,” says Guérard.She adds that Air Transat is launching a new summer flight between Edmonton and Toronto, opening the door to European travel to people in northern Alberta. Travelweek Group Share Air Transat debuts summer 2019 flight program with more direct service to Europe << Previous PostNext Post >>