Branislav Ivanovic 1 Branislav Ivanovic is not the most popular man in west London at the moment.His torrid personal start to the season continued with an unconvincing display as Chelsea fell to a 2-1 Champions League defeat to Porto.It was a miserable return for Jose Mourinho to the club he led to Champions League glory in 2004 – and Ivanovic’s performance contributed to a chastening evening for the Premier League champions.Mourinho rang the changes prior to kick off, dropping the likes of Eden Hazard and Nemanja Matic, but Ivanovic somewhat surprinsgly retained his place and, to the dismay of Blues’ fans, was even handed the captain’s armband.Many Chelsea supporters took to Twitter to blast the Serbian defender, and some of the best reactions can be found below:
Arsene Wenger laughed off claims he could take charge of Real Madrid as he offered his backing to under-fire Rafael Benitez.Benitez is under huge pressure at the Bernabeu after being thumped 4-0 by Barcelona at the weekend.Real Madrid have called a press conference for Monday night and it has led to claims the Spaniard could be sacked just five months into his reign.But Wenger, who has long been linked with the post, insists it would be madness to dump his former Liverpool rival.Jokingly asked by a reporter if he had been contacted by Real president Florentino Perez, the Arsenal boss replied: “No.“I would just like to take this occasion to support completely Rafael Benitez, who is an outstanding manager.“I think it would be not serious to sack the manager after 12 games. I hope he will get the support of Florentino Perez.“No one should bet on me to become the next [Real Madrid] manager.” Arsène Wenger 1
Manchester United’s Bastian Schweinsteiger will launch an appeal against a violent conduct charge for an alleged elbow on West Ham defender Winston Reid.The FA announced on Monday it had charged the German over the incident, which occurred in United’s 0-0 draw against West Ham on Saturday.Schweinsteiger stuck out his left arm and caught Hammers defender Reid in the throat as both players jostled for position in the build-up to a first-half free-kick.Referee Mark Clattenburg spoke to both players to calm them down, but did not see the apparent elbow and it was therefore not mentioned in his post-match report, which left the FA free to punish the midfielder retrospectively.Reid insisted on Saturday that the elbow was intentional, saying after the game: “He knows what he’s done – he’s elbowed me in the face”.West Ham manager Slaven Bilic also claimed the player should have been sent off, adding: “It’s a clear red card. A straight red without any doubts. It was a moment of madness.“He deserved to be sent off, but the referee told me he didn’t see it. Fair enough, I believe it. It was an elbow.”Schweinsteiger does not think his actions warrant punishment, however, and has informed the club he wishes to contest the charge.United have until noon on Thursday to lodge an appeal.The 31-year-old is facing a three-match ban if found guilty.Already hampered by a lengthy injury list, United cannot afford to lose the influential player for their upcoming games against Bournemouth, Norwich and Stoke. Manchester United star Bastian Schweinsteiger 1
1 Pato Chelsea are close to sealing a deal for Alexandre Pato, according to reports in Brazil.The former AC Milan star was left out of the Corinthians squad for a pre-season tournament in the United States, sparking speculation he could be on his way to Stamford Bridge.Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink wants to add attacking reinforcements during the current transfer window and sees Pato as an ideal fit.According to ESPN Brazil, Chelsea are currently trying to thrash out terms with Corinthians but are confident they can reach an agreement for the 26-year-old before the month is out
A fugitive suspected of killing his wife and burying her in their Rowland Heights back yard has been found in Indonesia, authorities said Tuesday. David Lam has been on the run since 2005. Sheriff’s Homicide Detective Ty Labbe said Lam was being brought back to the United States on Tuesday night on a FBI warrant for fleeing to avoid prosecution. “We’re waiting for him to come,” Labbe said. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREStriving toward a more perfect me: Doug McIntyre Lam also has a warrant for murder in Los Angeles County stemming from the September 2005 killing of his wife, Susan. FBI Special Agent Scott Garriola said he found out Friday night that Indonesian police arrested Lam in Batam island. He didn’t know details of how long Lam had been living there and what he was doing when captured. Susan Lam had been missing for two weeks before deputies found what looked like two graves in the 2600 block of Doubletree Lane on Sept. 22, 2005. Her remains were unearthed the next day. Coroner’s officials said she had been strangled. Her relatives, who last talked to the 49-year-old woman on Sept. 11, 2005, had reported her missing. David Lam took a leave from his job at the Bicycle Casino in Bell Gardens within days of his wife being reported missing. Investigators don’t know yet the motive behind the slaying. However, FBI officials said David Lam is believed to have a gambling problem. The couple filed for bankruptcy June 10, 2002, according to public records. In 2005, detectives said he was last seen leaving Singapore on a ferry to Indonesia. Batam island, where Lam turned up, is part of the Riau Archipelago and is about 12.5 miles away from Singapore. [email protected] (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3026160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
THE head of the Irish language cultural centre in Glencolmcille has slammed tourism board chiefs over their attitudes to the North West.Liam Ó Cuinneagáin from Oideas Gael says today what most people in Co Donegal have always suspected – there is no desire to send tourists here from the Dublin-based mandarins who run the sector.Writing in today’s Irish Times, the highly-respected Mr Ó Cuinneagáin fumed: “One should not become agitated at the beginning of a new year, but having read the comments by John Healy, chairman of the Irish Tourist Industry Confederation, I found it impossible not to. “In the article on the 2011 increase in tourism and in reference to the lack of growth in Donegal and the northwest, he is quoted as saying, “So while Dublin is successful in attracting people for short city breaks, unless you have people for 10 days you can’t really include the northwest”.“Why not? The distance from Dublin to Galway is 200km; Dublin to Cork is 257km; Dublin to Killarney is 302km. The distance from the capital city to Sligo is only 206km and to Donegal town is only 212km.“Why then should it cause a difficulty for visitors to travel to the Northwest and why should they need at least 10 days?“The answer is that they don’t! The attitude and perception of senior tourism figures like Mr Healy should not and cannot be accepted by those of us involved in tourism in Donegal and Sligo. “There was a time, indeed, when the Troubles made the Border visible – thankfully, this is no longer the case. The beauty and cultural riches of the northwest must be presented to the short-stay visitor to Dublin so that they can be coaxed to return and travel further afield.”And he added pointedly: “Donegal is only up the road!”The criticism comes as those fighting for more support for the west and north west accuse Government agencies of deliberately supporting Dublin and the south via the state-owned airports (Dublin, Cork and Shannon).© 2011 donegaldaily.com, all Rights ReservedThe copying, republication or redistribution of donegaldaily.com Content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited by law. Follow us on www.twitter.com/donegaldailyFollow us on www.facebook.com/donegaldailyTOURIST BOARD BOSS SLAMMED BY OIDEAS GAEL OVER SNUB TO DONEGAL was last modified: January 5th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:donegal tourismGlencolmcilleLiam Ó Cuinneagáin from Oideas Gael
The staff of Ballybofey and Stranorlar Credit UnionThe Staff and Management at the Ballybofey and Stranorlar Credit Union have become first Irish Credit Union to achieve the new Customer Service Excellence Ireland recognition award.It follows their participation in a two month programme which consisted of a training workshop and members satisfaction assessments.One of 16 Credit Unions in Donegal, the team at Ballybofey and Stranorlar participated in an initiative with Customer Service Excellence Ireland which has the objective of continuous improvement in member satisfaction through the customer service training and assessment. Pauline Tourish, Credit Union Manager at the Twin Towns office said they were delighted to be part of this positive programme.“I am very proud of the team and their achievement. Our members and their satisfaction is of utmost importance to us and the focus on that is something we are pleased to be always working on. Our participation in the programme together with achieving the CSEI recognition shows our commitment to our members” BALLYBOFEY AND STRANORLAR CREDIT UNION IS TOPS FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! was last modified: July 19th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Ballybofey and Stranorlar Credit UnionCustomer Service Excellence
Sinn Féin TD and Justice Spokesperson Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has said that the Minister for Justice, Frances Fitzgerald, is ‘missing the bigger picture’ on Garda reform following her comments at the MacGill Summer School yesterday.Deputy Mac Lochlainn said: “While I agree that the structures of An Garda Síochána have undergone significant changes in the past year, I don’t think that these changes have brought about the sort of reform that is needed.“The Minister has failed to devolve the necessary authority that the Gardaí require if they are to be an independent, accountable and transparent force capable of facing the challenges of modern day policing. “Any structural changes made to An Garda Síochána to date have only paid lip service to reform and this will continue to be the case for as long as such structures remain centralised.“In addition to this, the delay in establishing the new Policing Authority is unacceptable. The Garda Síochána (Policing Authority and Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill should have been brought before the Dáil long ago in order to allow for a proper debate on what such an Authority should look like and what its functions should be.“Sinn Féin’s position remains the same. The independence of the Authority, as currently outlined in the Bill, must be strengthened and its functions expanded to include holding the Garda Commissioner to account, in order for the Authority to be effective.“The Minister should consider measures to address how best to devolve authority to An Garda Síochána. This is the only way to bring about the reform that is necessary.” Mac LOCHLAINN CRITICISES JUSTICE MINISTER OVER GARDA REFORM was last modified: July 22nd, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Deputy Padraig Mac LochlainnFrances FitzgeraldGarda reform
Mesut Ozil – Because who else is going to supply the goals? Laurent Koscielny – Koscielny is quick and a great tackler so there would be no need to play a midfielder at the back for Arsenal. 5 5 Petr Cech – Click the arrow, right, to see the rest of Arsenal’s five-a-side team – Cech is one of the top keepers in the world and would probably be able to play without his trademark headguard. 5 5 5 Arsenal may have faltered recently in their quest for the Premier League this season, but how would they fare in a five-a-side league?As all amateur footballers will testify to, the five-man game is a completely different animal to it’s 11-a-side big brother.Long balls become useless, the big man who is good in the air is redundant (sorry, Olivier Giroud) and the strong-tackling hard man is pinged every time he risks his knees sliding on the astro-turf (so no Francis Coquelin then).So who would make your team’s five-a-side from the current crop of players? talkSPORT look at who would be the likely line-ups.Click the arrow above, right, to see the Arsenal five a-side team.Disagree? Let us know your selection in the comments section below!TOTTENHAM’S FIVE-A-SIDE TEAMLIVERPOOL’S FIVE-A-SIDE TEAMMAN CITY’S FIVE-A-SIDE TEAMMAN UNITED’S FIVE-A-SIDE TEAMCHELSEA’S FIVE-A-SIDE TEAM Alexis Sanchez – Sanchez is quick, powerful and a strong finisher and would be a demon to play against. Jack Wilshere – Assuming he is fit enough for a 40-minute kick around, Wilshere would be a great five-a-side player with his short passing and clever link-up play.