Behind every dark cloud, there is a silver lining, and the dispute between the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) and Premier League Clubs Association (PLCA), which delayed the start of the new Red Stripe Premier League (RSPL) season indefinitely, has benefited teams that started pre-season preparations behind schedule. Jerome Waite of defending champions Arnett Gardens and Lenworth Hyde of regular season winners Humble Lion have both said pre-season preparations started late and the postponement has given them time to get completely ready. “Arnett Gardens’ preparation is behind. The preparation started very late and the turnout was not maximum. But with the competition not kicking off as scheduled, it gives us ample time to get prepared and get in some more work, so the delay is really a positive,” Waite said. Hyde also described the postponed start as a good thing. “It (postponement) did not really hamper us because we didn’t start (pre-season) on time. So the delay gives us a little help to prepare and make the pre-season better. We are training well, and with the extra two, or how many weeks, we will get fitter. So the delay helped me, because we will get in some more practice games, which is what we need,” he said. However, for newcomers Sandals Whitehouse, the delay is a big setback as they were on schedule with their pre-season preparations, and pushing back the start of the league has affected them in a big way. “I started my pre-season on time, and we have been preparing for months now, so we were looking forward to it. We were prepared and ready. so it affects us,” coach Aaron Lawrence said. “All 30 players completed the pre-season. Now, we have to put off training so we can bring them down and pick them up again. So we just have to give them a break for this week and return next Monday with a programme,” he said. The RSPL season was scheduled to start on Sunday, September 3. The governing body of local football, the JFF, pointed to money owed to the Montego Bay United Football Club and match officials as the two main reasons for the postponement. The officials have now been paid, but the Montego Bay United issue is still unresolved.
Scores of former Liberian athletes who attended the 3rd Reunion held in Minnesota, USA ended last Sunday with many receiving plaques with their names inscribed on them recognizing their sacrifices for their country during their youths.The three-day gathering, (June 17-19) was attended by former Liberian soccer, athletics and basketball players, reports say, was a historic gathering. The gathering agreed to meet in Atlanta, Georgia, USA in 2017 for the 4th reunion.The former athletes, among other issues, held a general meeting, which included a business meeting where they discussed issues about sports, their roles and what they could do to improve the welfare of their compatriots who are less fortunate.They also discussed what could be done to improve and create awareness about means to develop sports and athletes in Liberia and their assistance to sports development in Liberia.Many of the athletes have been in the United States since they completed their respective educational pursuits at several universities in the United States.They have also raised families and the gathering; the third of its kind help them to reconnect with the past, and also to meet each other again. The gathering on Saturday, June 18, engaged in a whole day sports festivities, including indoor and outdoor games.On the same Saturday, the group participated in a dinner ball and honoring ceremony where scores of the attendees received their awards.Reports said the occasion was a repeat of last year’s reunion held in Philadelphia, (USA) where memories of their playing days were recounted.On the final day last Sunday, the gathering enjoyed a farewell cookout which is very popular in the United States as they ate and made merry and discussed events with each other in their native Liberia, with emphasis on how they could contribute to the development of sports.They also deliberated on the fate of athletes that sickness had overcome and been neglected to face the difficult days alone. The issue of former Lone Star and St. Joseph’s Warriors ailing player Experience Sayon Davis, presently recovering from stroke in New Kru Town in Liberia, and urgently in need of material and financial support, was highlighted.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
A Richmond Housing Scheme, Region Two (Pomeroon/Supenaam), man, who was wanted for escaping from lawful custody, was on Thursday jailed for 24 months for chopping his father.Ravindra Singh, 27, appeared before Magistrate Sunil Scarce at Wakenaam’s Magistrate Court and pleaded guilty to the felonious wounding charge.According to the Prosecution’s case, on 21 April, 2016 at Henrietta, Singh chopped his father.Reports are Singh’s father was drinking at a shop in Henrietta Village when the defendant approached him. An argument ensued and the defendant dealt several chops to his fathers body with a cutlass.According to the medical report, the father got chopped to his neck and about his arms.Magistrate Scarce jailed him for 24 months.
Suriname’s State-controlled Staatsolie is in negotiations with six international oil companies for rights to a pair of new deepwater blocks after closing invitations to bid for the acreage, as the Liza oil find in Guyana sparks a regional land rush.According to the US Upstream Oil and Gas Newspaper, Staatsolie created Block 59 in the north-west corner of the country’s maritime area along the border with Guyana, as well as a second block, Block 60, that lies east of Block 54, which had previously been the easternmost defined block off of Suriname.Staatsolie has seen a rush of international explorers after the ExxonMobil-operated Liza find on the Stabroek block off of Guyana, which is now estimated to contain between 800 million and 1.4 billion barrels of recoverable oil.“The Liza discovery (Guyana) and Zaedyus (French Guiana) are along the same trend line. Nobody has yet drilled a well in Suriname that actually applies the lessons of Liza.”“Activity has been confined to the shelf, but we are now seeing more interest further out to the north,” said August Nelson, manager of the exploration division of Staatsolie.The first proposal for new acreage was submitted in May from a company interested in the area that would become Block 59 in the north-west.By August 16 this year, Staatsolie had received four proposals for acreage in the north-west and decided to close the “open door invitation for bids” for the area.And by September 7, Staatsolie had also received two bids for acreage in the Block 60 area in the eastern portion of its offshore zone, and the Government decided to close bidding until September 2017.Staatsolie is now in negotiations with the six companies that submitted proposals to agree on terms of a production sharing contract for each of the blocks.The results are said to be a far cry from the last time Staatsolie offered acreage, when Apache was awarded Block 58 along the Guyana border in May 2015 after lacklustre interest in additional acreage from other operators.Now Suriname has become the focus for operators looking to gain exposure to the Guyana-Suriname offshore basin due to a lack of available acreage off Guyana.ExxonMobil and partners, Hess of the US and CNOOC subsidiary Nexen, control the massive Stabroek Block in Guyana. ExxonMobil recently took significant stakes and operator ships in the neighbouring Canje Block and the ultra-deep Kaieteur Block.Repsol is understood to be favoured in the negotiations for Block C, an ultra-deepwater block on the Guyana side of the maritime border with Suriname.The remaining ultra-deep block, Roraima, is controlled by Anadarko Petroleum, but remains under force majeure due to the border controversy between Guyana and Venezuela.Consequently, operators have looked to the continuation of the Liza trend into Suriname for access to the emerging play.In May, Hess farmed in for a one-third interest in Block 42 off Suriname from partners Kosmos Energy and Chevron.
Beverage giants, Ansa McAl once again renewed the public’s confidence in the company’s dedication to sport development as they joined forces with organisers, New Era Entertainment and Eyefull Entertainment for the highly anticipated ‘Clash of the Champions’ two day futsal tournament.The East Coast Demerara based company will be leading the sponsorship through Stag Beer as explained by brand manager, Linden Henry at the handing over ceremony on Wednesday at the company’s head office.(L-R) Organisers Aubrey Major Jr., Kenrick Noel, Shareef Major, Frank Parris and Ansa McAl representative Linden Henry at the handing overSpeaking on behalf of the promoters, Co-Director of New Era Entertainment, Kenrick Noel explained that the tournament is the first of its kind and it is always good to have companies such as Ansa McAl coming on board for the inaugural tournament thus fulfilling their corporate responsibility to the country as well as aiding in the development of futsal.The other half of New Era Entertainment, Aubrey Major jr. also explained how monumental this tournament is expected to be as it hosts battle between the champions of two of the top futsal tournament, Georgetown champions, Sparta Boss and Linden Champions Dave and Celena’s Hustlers.The tournament is set to kick off Saturday at the National Gymnasium, Mandela Avenue for the first round with Bent Street going up against Tucville in the first match followed by Gold is Money facing Tiger Bay and Broad Street battling Leopold Street before the first clash between the two powerhouses.The Georgetown-based side Sparta Boss made a successful defence of their Guinness “Greatest of the Street” football title when they won it for the second time in as many years defeating Tucville 1-0 while Hustlers fought with sweat and bones to dethrone Magic Stars in the Mohamed’s Enterprise Linden Futsal Tournament to book their matches with the Georgetown champs.Both teams have gathered an enormous fan base as they continue to produce some breath taking skills and entertainment for the large crowds night after night. It will be particularly interesting to see who will take it as it provides a home and away scenario for both teams.The style of play for both teams is different from each other and this will be providing a competition like never seen before. Meanwhile, the tournament will be heading over to the mining town, Linden for the second night on February 18, for the final showdown at the McKenzie Sports Club Hard Court Tarmac. It will also feature Magic Stars facing Good Fellas and Town Cars (Georgetown taxi drivers) taking on Linden bus (Linden bus drivers).The matches will be played on a six a side basis inclusive on 5 players and a goal keeper, using the large goal and run under the rules of the Guyana Futsal Association.
– Advertisement –
Even as experts warn that the United States’ risk of a terrorist attack is rising, Department of Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff on Friday said port security has been boosted and he is proposing dedicated federal funding to allow local police departments to beef up counter-terrorism squads. Chertoff, who toured the the Los Angeles port area and spoke at the University of Southern California, said his plan to pay the salaries of counter-terrorism officers would allow the Los Angeles Police Department and other agencies to hire more. “For international terrorism, the federal government has the major tools and responsibility to detect terrorism. But when you talk about homegrown terrorism … we are not going to uncover that in all likelihood with spies and satellites,” he said. “That is going to be uncovered by police who are trained to look for certain things and then go and disrupt something before it happens.” Together, the ports handle nearly 45 percent of the nation’s imports, with a total annual value approaching $275 billion. Chertoff viewed new radiation portal monitors placed at marine terminals to detect radioactive materials used to make “dirty bombs.” Currently, more than 85 stationary radiation monitors are positioned at marine terminals across the ports, with 24 more such devices attached to trucks, said Aileen Suliveras, assistant port director for U.S. Customs and Border Protection. The new detection device, which scans containers as they’re hauled out of marine terminals on trucks, is being tested at SSA Terminal on Pier A. If the new device is successful, authorities hope to have them at seaports and land border crossings across the nation in coming months as funding becomes available. Staff Writer Kristopher Hanson contributed to this report. firstname.lastname@example.org (213) 974-8985160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Chertoff also defended the federal government’s decision this week to reduce anti-terrorism funding for the Los Angeles-Long Beach region, saying the nation has spent more than $13 billion on homeland security since the 2001 terrorist attacks. Chertoff said the proposed 10 percent cut from last year’s funding levels was necessary because of demands from communities across the country. “There’s only one pie, and the way we’ve decided to slice the pie is to put most of the money where most of the risk is,” Chertoff said during comments in the Port of Los Angeles. “But I’ve got to balance and look at the big picture. Los Angeles gets the second-most amount of money to New York, but it’s also right that San Diego, Las Vegas, and dare I say, Oklahoma City, gets a reasonable amount of money commensurate to risk.” Chertoff also said radiation monitors are now used at six overseas ports and more than 90 percent of cargo coming into the Los Angeles-Long Beach ports is now scanned for radioactive materials.
1 Pato Chelsea are close to sealing a deal for Alexandre Pato, according to reports in Brazil.The former AC Milan star was left out of the Corinthians squad for a pre-season tournament in the United States, sparking speculation he could be on his way to Stamford Bridge.Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink wants to add attacking reinforcements during the current transfer window and sees Pato as an ideal fit.According to ESPN Brazil, Chelsea are currently trying to thrash out terms with Corinthians but are confident they can reach an agreement for the 26-year-old before the month is out
1 Funes Mori was taken off after just 36 minutes against Bolivia on Tuesday Everton were left counting the cost of another injury during the international break after Argentina defender Ramiro Funes Mori was carried off.The centre-back was shown holding his left knee as he left the pitch after only 36 minutes of Argentina’s 2-0 defeat by Bolivia on Tuesday evening.It means another blow to manager Ronald Koeman ahead of Saturday’s Merseyside derby showdown with Liverpool at Anfield.The Toffees have already seen Seamus Coleman sidelined until next season with a horrific leg break suffered during the Republic of Ireland’s draw with Wales last Friday.Midfielder James McCarthy, meanwhile, did not even make it to kick-off in Dublin after aggravating a hamstring problem in the warm-up.Funes Mori has made 26 appearances for Everton this season, but lost his place to Phil Jagielka for the last two Premier League matches against West Brom and Hull.The injuries are particularly bad timing for boss Koeman, with a run of nine wins from 15 games drawing them level on 50 points with sixth-placed Arsenal.
Baldwin Park police did not participate in the arrests. One of the five men who had allegedly entered the country illegally after being deported, 50-year-old Alejandro Rodriguez Villegas of Los Angeles, is still at large, officials said. The Salvadorian was deported in 1997 after committing a lewd act on a minor. The sweep was part of Operation Clear Message, an arm of the national Operation Predator, an initiative by ICE designed to keep alien predatory criminals off the streets, said Virginia Kice, spokeswoman for ICE. “One of the things that’s unique about these cases is \ is essentially a tool we could use on foreign nationals we cannot use for citizens,” Kice said. “Not only can we take them off the streets, we could move them out of the country. One of the troubling things about sex offenders is they re-offend.” A lot of times, Kice said, the convicts in these cases commit acts against others in the immigrant community. email@example.com (626) 962-8811, Ext. 2472160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREFrumpy Middle-aged Mom: My realistic 2020 New Year’s resolutions. Some involve doughnuts.Vasquez, a Mexican national, was deported in 1997 after being convicted of committing lewd and lascivious acts upon a child under 14, officials said. Assistant U.S. Attorney Curtis A. Kin, chief of the office’s Domestic Security and Immigration Crimes section, said if found guilty, Pakas-Murcia and Vasquez will likely spend time in a federal penitentiary prior to being deported a second time. “We thought this would be a good thing to send a very clear message that illegal immigrants committing crimes in this country will not be tolerated,” Kin said. Pakas-Murcia and Vasquez are two of five men who were allegedly deported once before and illegally re-entered the country. “It’s nice to know they are not in our city anymore,” said Baldwin Park Police Capt. Michael Taylor. BALDWIN PARK – Three Baldwin Park men convicted of sex crimes were arrested this week in a federal sweep that netted 25 foreign national convicts, officials said Thursday. Officials at the U.S. Department of Justice said Jose Angel Pakas-Murcia, 46, and Manuel Sanchez Vasquez, 36, are both illegal immigrants who have been deported in the past for their crimes. Officials at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement did not know the name of the third Baldwin Park man arrested. Pakas-Murcia, a Honduras national, was convicted of sexually assaulting a 9-year-old girl in Florida in 1993 and was deported two years later, officials said. He was arrested Tuesday at a local car dealership where he worked as a parts department manager. Officials did not identify the dealership.