By Ian RansomAustralia has backed a World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) recommendation that Russia be banned from international athletics, including the 2016 Olympics, after a report alleged systemic state-backed cheating.Both the Australian Olympic Committee and Athletics Australia (AA) said Russian track and field athletes should not be allowed to compete at the Rio de Janeiro Games.AA chief executive Phil Jones said there was not enough time for Russia to prove its track and field program was clean before Rio 2016 started on Aug. 5.“The runway clearly is very short to address all the issues that the report calls out,” he told state radio broadcaster ABC on Tuesday.“I think given the time between now and the Rio Olympics, it’s very difficult to see that their house is going to be demonstrably in order by the middle of next year.”Australia’s Olympic chef de mission Kitty Chiller said she hoped the IAAF’s new president Sebastian Coe would have the courage to “do what’s required”.“If Russia is not in Rio, I think the reputation of athletics will be enhanced,” she told reporters in Sydney.A WADA anti-doping commission reported allegations of widespread corruption and collusion by Russian officials, including state security services, to cover up the results of drug tests, destroy samples and intimidate laboratory staff.Russian Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko said there was no evidence for the accusations.DEMANDING GOLDThe WADA report also identified “systematic failures” at the IAAF, athletics’ world governing body, which has been rocked by a French judicial investigation into fraud involving its former chief Lamine Diack and other senior officials.The accusations have angered Australian athletes, including race walker Jared Tallent, who has demanded he be awarded the 50km gold medal from the 2012 London Games after finishing runner-up behind Russian drug cheat Sergei Kirdyapkin .Only the IAAF has the power to ban Russia from international competition. Coe has given Russia a week to respond formally to the allegations.Jones doubted Russia was alone in its doping problems.“I don’t think it’s surprising in any way,” he added.“It’s difficult to imagine Russia is the only country where there would be anti-doping issues. It would be very surprising if Russia was an island in this regard.”The report has cast doubt on results at a number of international events, including the London Games, where Russia won eight gold among 17 track and field medals.Athletics New Zealand joined Australia in supporting the WADA stance and said if Russia was proved to have been involved then they should face sanctions.Russia is to host the World Race Walking Cup at the Volga river port of Cheboksary in May, 2016.Many of Russia’s leading walkers have tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs and Tallent said he had no intention competing at the meeting unless it were moved from Russia.Jones said AA would support other local athletes if they wanted to boycott the meeting.
A season-ending injury has forced top high school female sprinter, Edwin Allen High’s Kevona Davis, out of this year’s JAAA National Junior Championships. Michael Dyke, Davis’ high school coach, told The Gleaner that the athlete picked up an injury during a recent training session. “Kevona suffered a hamstring injury recently in training and it is in her best interest to pull her out of the meet,” Dyke said on Wednesday. “This is it for her this season as she still has another chance to compete at the World Under-20 Championships in two year’s time and it is best not to risk her at this time,” Dyke added. The 16 year-old Davis who won bronze in the 100 metres at last year’s IAAF Under 18 Championships in Kenya is the country’s fastest female junior in the 200 metres this year with a personal best of 22.72 seconds. She is number seven on the IAAF Top list in the event. She is also the number two Jamaican junior for 100 metres with 11.16 seconds. Only overseas-based Briana Williams, with 11.13, is ranked above her locally. The four-day National Senior and Junior Championships starts on Thursday at the National Stadium.
Any hope that APNU/AFC’s fourth Budget might be a pro-growth, pro-people budget was shattered after the Minister of Finance read the 2018 Budget in Parliament on Monday. The 2018 Budget is an absolute betrayal of the Guyanese people, particularly the working class, women, children and pensioners. The Budget is entitled “Continuing the Journey to the Good Life”. What it succeeds in doing is continuing the backward slide. It continues APNU/AFC’s track record of disavowing all its promises and of punishing people with taxation and more taxation. Perhaps the biggest disappointment of the 2018 Budget is the total, shameless betrayal of the senior citizens of our country and the working-class pensioners.The Old Age Pension increase of $500 per month is simply disgraceful. It is particularly disgraceful in the context that APNU/AFC had promised that were it given a chance to govern, it would immediately double the Old Age Pension. To be clear, it promised to double the Old Age Pension immediately, not incrementally during its term it. It is a broken promise and a disgraceful betrayal of the pensioners. If it had simply continued the rate of increase implemented by the PPP Government between 2011 and 2014, the Old Age Pension would today be greater than $20,000. In addition, it removed safety net subsidies that pensioners enjoyed prior to 2015, such as electricity and water subsidies and compounded the situation by introducing VAT on water and electricity bills. In effect, its boast that it has increased Old Age Pension is wicked spin. Pensioners are, in fact, worse off.The parties had also promised that after immediately doubling the Old Age Pension, they would incrementally have increased it to make it equivalent to the minimum wage. This means that had they kept their promise of doubling the Old Age Pension in 2015 and then incrementally moving to equate it with the national public service minimum wage, old age pensioners ought to be receiving close to $40,000 monthly in the 2018 Budget. This is their promise; this is their contract with pensioners. They not only promised this on the public platforms, not only during their daily TV and radio broadcasts during the 2015 election campaign, they also formalised it in their Election Manifesto. Their clear failure to keep this promise is unforgivable, but it is particularly reprehensible that they are trying to sell the anaemic increase as an unprecedented increase for old age pensioners.But there is an overall under-performance and an overall shameful betrayal of all pensioners, whether it is old age pension or a job-related pension, other than for the pension of serving ministers and other than the pension of the President and the Prime Minister. To get elected, they also promised retired public servants, teachers and Police Officers whose pensions were below the minimum wage to increase it immediately and to tie it to the minimum wage. They failed to meet this promise, and, in fact, APNU/AFC has done nothing, not even a cent more for these pensioners, not in the 2015, 2016, 2017 or now in the 2018 Budget.Clearly, the parties lied to the old age pensioners and they lied to all pensioners, except themselves. But Budget 2018 solidified their track-record of lies, misrepresentation, misdirection and obfuscation. They did remove VAT on Education and they claim this as demonstrating how much they care. Yet, it is APNU/AFC that introduced this tax in the first place, in spite of overwhelming public outrage. It is like the abuser who beats his wife to a pulp and then afterwards pretends to soothe the physical pain as proof that he cares. Incidentally, they did nothing to remove VAT on water and electricity and they did nothing to restore the “Because We Care” subsidy for education which provided $10,000 per child in 2014 and was supposed to be more than $20,000 by 2018. They promised just weeks ago that there will not be any new taxes in the 2018 Budget and then proceeded in the 2018 Budget to increase property rates and taxes across the country. Absolute betrayal, lies, obfuscation, misdirection, misrepresentation. People deserve better than this.
Dear Editor,I believe that a section of the media in an editorial prematurely announced the death knell of Guyana’s sugar industry.The focus of the editorial was on raw/bulk sugar and the price for same in the world market. It conveniently, perhaps deliberately, ignored the increasing demand for ‘value-added’ sugar and the premium prices payable for refined, customer-oriented packaged sugar as well as the possibilities available in the ‘preferential’ Caricom countries for market-driven demand, production and distribution.It would be enlightening to hear the ‘unvarnished’ truths from GuySuCo (as opposed to the apparent bias of political operatives). Furthermore, why are the powers-that-be continuing to ignore the studied recommendations of the CoI into the sugar industry?Sincerely,Nowrang Persaud
The Blues wrap up the tournament on Sunday at 1:30 with a rematch against Capital Wave “A”.For more information, scores and highlights on your favourite U of T athletes and teams, please visit www.varsityblues.ca. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter, Instagram, SnapChat and Facebook for the latest and greatest in Varsity Blues intercollegiate athletics. The Varsity Blues women’s water polo team earned a split of its two games at the Athletic Centre on Saturday of the annual U of T Fall Classic. After the teams switched ends, Capital Wave increased its lead to 6-4 by the end of the third quarter. The teams traded a pair of goals each during the first half of the final quarter before the visitors popped in three unanswered goals (including one at the horn) to win 11-6. First up was a late afternoon rematch against the Chicago Wildcats, a team of experienced college graduates who had defeated the Blues 8-7 on Friday night in a highly entertaining see-saw affair. The Blues grabbed a 1-0 first-quarter lead and kept the one goal advantage to lead 4-3 at the half. The team increased its lead by one during the third quarter and entered the final quarter ahead 6-4. Junior Emily Kelvin-Davies (Maple Ridge, B.C.) and freshman Sara Sutherland (Regina) each notched a pair of goals with freshman Allie Vas (Yorba Linda, California) tallying the other marker. With only two hours of rest and MacCormac, Charles and Smith unavailable due to injury, the Blues tried in vain to keep pace with Capital Wave “A” (Ottawa) team. Print Friendly Version Sophomore Amber Masse (San Jose, California) returned to her natural position in goal after being pressed into field player duty throughout last year and came up with several excellent saves during her two quarters of work in relief of junior starter Rachael Jaffe (Irvine, California) who exited after the opening frame. Junior Maddie Hertz (Miami) made her debut as a goalie in the final quarter and made her first three saves as a Blues netminder. The teams traded goals in the final frame allowing the Blues to exact revenge with a 7-5 victory. Story Links Junior assistant captain Kassie Fraser (Vancouver) paced the Blues attack with two goals, while senior co-captain Megan MacCormac (Ottawa), sophomore Caitlyn Tiedje (Okotoks, Alberta) and freshmen Deena Charles (Langley, B.C.), Katie Smith (Chestermere, Alberta) and Emma Brezoczky (Los Gatos, California) added singles. After opening the scoring early in the first quarter, the Blues gave up three goals in a row and trailed 3-1 after one period. By the half way mark of the second quarter, the Blues had tied things up only to concede a late goal to trail 4-3 at the half.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The City of Fort St. John has shared more information about a Council report received last week that showed the City had a surplus of $29.8 million in 2017.According to a post on Facebook, the City says the surplus includes tangible capital assets or things like roads, buildings and other City infrastructure. The assets make up $24.7 million of the $29.8 million meaning, in reality, the City had a cash surplus of $5.1 million.The Facebook post went on to say, the actual cash amount has been split between reserves for things like snow clearing in bad snow years, capital projects that weren’t completed in 2017 and funds for future capital projects like the new RCMP detachment.- Advertisement -After local media shared the information that the surplus was $29.8 million, several residents vented on social media accusing the City of increasing property taxes without a need to considering the surplus from 2017.
“They talked of how he robbed them of their loved ones and they hope he spends the rest of his life thinking about what he did,” Deputy District Attorney Robert Sherwood said. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Bob Bowers sentenced Scott, 28, to the life sentence in the 2003 cases. The jury that convicted Scott in July of two counts of first-degree murder also spared him the death penalty. Before his sentence was handed down, Scott apologized to the families, saying he regretted what he did and hoped that someday they would forgive him, Sherwood said. A key piece of evidence against Scott was his fingerprint found in July 2003 on a jar Gnerlich used in her Victoria’s Antique Garden shop to collect donations for the Multiple Sclerosis Society. One of his victims, a woman with multiple sclerosis, left a trail of blood as she crawled to the door of her Littlerock antiques shop in a futile attempt to reach help. In the same remote desert town three months later, an elderly man was found by his daughter, bound, beaten and left to die alone in his home. On Wednesday, four years later, career criminal Ernest Scott was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the murders of Victoria Gnerlich, 46, and Charles Trice, 76. Families of both victims testified in a downtown Los Angeles courtroom, speaking of their anguish and urging that Scott be sentenced to life in prison. The container was emptied, the cash register broken and Gnerlich beaten and hit on the head with a piece of crockery. A customer found her dead on the floor of her Pearblossom Highway shop, where she also lived. In October of that year, Trice was bound and beaten in his home by Scott and an accomplice and left to die of asphyxiation and a neck injury. Trice’s body was found in his home on East Avenue R-10 by his daughter, who came to pick him up for an appointment. Trice’s killers stole his car and took other items from his house. Ronnie Johnson, 32, was tried separately in Trice’s murder and he, too, was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. Scott had been released from prison two months before Gnerlich’s slaying, and Johnson had been out of prison 2
Sinn Féin TD and Justice Spokesperson Pádraig Mac Lochlainn has said that the Minister for Justice, Frances Fitzgerald, is ‘missing the bigger picture’ on Garda reform following her comments at the MacGill Summer School yesterday.Deputy Mac Lochlainn said: “While I agree that the structures of An Garda Síochána have undergone significant changes in the past year, I don’t think that these changes have brought about the sort of reform that is needed.“The Minister has failed to devolve the necessary authority that the Gardaí require if they are to be an independent, accountable and transparent force capable of facing the challenges of modern day policing. “Any structural changes made to An Garda Síochána to date have only paid lip service to reform and this will continue to be the case for as long as such structures remain centralised.“In addition to this, the delay in establishing the new Policing Authority is unacceptable. The Garda Síochána (Policing Authority and Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill should have been brought before the Dáil long ago in order to allow for a proper debate on what such an Authority should look like and what its functions should be.“Sinn Féin’s position remains the same. The independence of the Authority, as currently outlined in the Bill, must be strengthened and its functions expanded to include holding the Garda Commissioner to account, in order for the Authority to be effective.“The Minister should consider measures to address how best to devolve authority to An Garda Síochána. This is the only way to bring about the reform that is necessary.” Mac LOCHLAINN CRITICISES JUSTICE MINISTER OVER GARDA REFORM was last modified: July 22nd, 2015 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Deputy Padraig Mac LochlainnFrances FitzgeraldGarda reform
Mario Mandzukic (Juventus) – After missing out on target Lukaku, manager Antonio Conte is now eyeing a move for Croatian target man Mandzukic to strengthen his attack. According to the Sunday Mirror, he would cost just £25m a third of Lukakus estimated cost and would provide proven quality to an already impressive forward line of Diego Cost and Michy Batshuayi. After the mega-money arrival of Gonzalo Higuain at the Serie A champions, Mandzukic may also be ready to move elsewhere. 5 Romelu Lukaku (Everton) – Click the right arrow above for more Chelsea transfer talk… – According to reports in several newspapers, the Blues are on the verge of giving up on chasing their former player. A £75m valuation has put them off, while the player himself could pledge his loyalty to the Toffees for another season, despite rumours he wanted to move back to west London. Kalidou Koulibaly (Napoli) – At the other end of the pitch, Contes hunt for a defender continues, and Chelsea could up the bid for the Senegalese centre-back in the coming days. They reportedly saw a bid of 58m bid turned down last week and are deciding on whether to return with another offer for the talented Serie A star, who is also interesting Everton. Antonio Conte may have arrived at Chelsea as Jose Mourinho’s permanent successor, following a tough season, but he has not done much in the transfer market so far this summer.Two big signings have been completed, with N’Golo Kante and Michy Batshuayi joining for big sums from Leicester City and Marseille respectively.But, as yet, there have been no more new stars added to the squad, despite looking shaky at the back last season.So, with transfer deadline day approaching, will Chelsea be making any more moves in the summer window?Click the right arrow, above, to find out the latest rumours from Stamford Bridge… 5 5 James Rodriguez (Real Madrid) – Or, perhaps more understandably, Chelsea may use the money they would have used on Lukaku to tempt the Colombian playmaker to west London. The Spanish club seem to suggest they want to keep the man they signed in 2014 for 80m, but could be tempted by a huge bid, which could be worth around £60-70m. 5 5 Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus) – If they fail to land Koulibaly, there is a good chance Chelsea will sanction a move for the imperious left-sided centre-back. A familiar face to Conte, the 32-year-old may be available for around £25m and would certainly be able to handle the physicality of the Premier League.