Industry, Investment and Commerce Minister, Hon. Anthony Hylton, has outlined the rationale for resuming the local scrap metal trade, come January 2013. Speaking at Wednesday’s (December 19) Jamaica House Media Briefing at the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM), Mr. Hylton pointed out that at its “zenith,” the scrap metal trade provided employment for over 10,000 persons, particularly among the lower socio-economic group. Additionally, he said the sector “proved itself” a viable foreign exchange earner, and at the height of its operations in 2006, grossed US$100 million. “My position on the trade in scrap metal has been as consistent as it has been clear. The trade is an important contributor to economic activity in Jamaica…we need the scrap metal trade. It provides jobs. It earns foreign exchange and clears the environment of derelict vehicles and scrap metal. We must also recognize that certain mineral deposits are declining and are not renewable. (As such) recycling of non-renewable resources is important for sustainable living,” the Minister argued. However, Mr. Hylton lamented the significant dislocation, consequent on illicit activities such as theft, which the country suffered, particularly during the height of the industry’s operations in 2006. “There was evidence of wanton disregard for public infrastructure and personal property and the level of theft and vandalism was at an all time high. So, while the trade was earning a significant amount of foreign exchange and creating employment, losses from theft over the past four years totalled approximately $1 billion. This does not include the dislocation to businesses and the amount of security measures that companies have to institute to prevent theft,” he indicated. As a result of this and other developments, the sector’s activities were suspended earlier in the year for reviewing and development of a new regime and measures to govern its operations, which have been approved by Cabinet. The trade is now set to resume by the third week in January, 2012 the Minister advised journalists at Wednesday’s briefing. “Let me make it patently clear, this activity will be guided by very stringent rules and regulations with appropriate penalties for non-compliance. It cannot be an ad hoc approach, where traders and exporters do as they please. That will not happen under my watch,” Mr. Hylton asserted.
APTN National NewsThere is yet more criticism for the murdered and missing women’s inquiry in British Columbia.The BC Civil Liberties Association questions the involvement of an Ontario-based police force acting as advisors to the commissioner.The association fears this is yet another example of police investigating their own.Despite all these controversies, the families of serial killer Robert Pickton’s victims still want it to proceed.APTN National News reporter Rob Smith has this story.
-Four people, including three minor siblings, were killed and another person was injured as a wall collapsed on them in Pagla area of Fatullah upazila on Monday morning, reports UNB.The deceased were identified as Lamia, 12, Lima, 3, and Laboni, 8, daughters of Saiful Islam, and Alamgir Hossain, 30, of Damudda in Shariatpur district. Hailing from Patuakhali district, the three siblings used to live in a rented house in the area along with their parents.Witnesses said some workers were demolishing a 12-feet long shabby wall to build a multi-storey building at Shantinibas in Pagla while five people, including the three children, were playing on the other side of the wall.The wall suddenly fell on the five people, killing Laboni and Lamia on the spot.Lima died on the way to Dhaka Medical College Hospital in the capital and Alamgir succumbed to his injuries at the hospital.Kamal Uddin, officer-in-charge of Fatullah police station, said the workers fled the spot after the incident.The bodies were sent to Narayanganj General Hospital for autopsy.
Being healthy is more than just making the right food choices – it’s also about supplementing healthy food choices with increased participation in physical activity, says an expert, who feels a few exercise trends must be incorporated into one’s daily life.* Ditch the office chair: Just because you work in an office setting, it doesn’t mean you can’t be active. Adding more activity to your day can be as easy as standing at your desk while you make phone calls, holding walking meetings, or even taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Also Read – Add new books to your shelf* Take a walk at lunch: To combat afternoon slumps in energy and focus, take a walk during your lunch hour. A recent study, published in the Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports, showed that lunchtime strolls can boost people’s moods and ability to handle stress at work. If you combine your walk with a meal replacement shake, you are getting a convenient meal while getting some exercise. * Eat more mindfully: Eating mindfully means that you pay attention to the foods you choose in order to properly fuel your body. Establish regular eating habits and follow a few simple rules for a healthier diet – include plenty of vegetables and whole fruits at meals and snacks, limit your intake of fats and sweets, make sure to feed your muscles with protein, and drink plenty of water. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsive* Join online: The tech fit industry jumped to new heights in 2016 and proved to be a very practical solution for so many people. It’s now easier than ever to work out with a fitness star in a foreign country from the comfort of your own home, or use a fitness app for guidance. With live streaming, get ready to travel, without a passport, for a fitness class.* Be balanced: The focus in fitness is becoming centered on overall wellness and not just a ‘quick fix’ fitness programme. And the same holds true for diet too. There will be a rise in more balanced routines that encompass simple old-school time tested exercise, complemented by a healthy diet that is rooted in balanced nutrition, promoting a healthy, active lifestyle.
Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now Enroll Now for Free March 19, 2014 Google just announced Android Wear, a platform that extends the Android operating system to wearable devices. And already, two of the tech giant’s biggest hardware partners have said they will be releasing smartwatches for the Android-powered platform.South Korea-based LG has announced plans for the LG G, an Android-powered smartwatch. So far, LG hasn’t released many details, other than to say the LG G will be compatible with a wide range of Android smartphones and “will present relevant information to users just when they need it.”LG expects its Android smartwatch to be available sometime in the second quarter this year.Related: Google Gets More Serious About Wearables With ‘Android Wear’The other Android Wear smartwatch comes from Motorola — the company Google bought in 2011 but recently sold to China-based PC maker Lenovo Group Ltd. Motorola announced the Moto 360 smartwatch. Here’s a quick video preview:Other than that, Motorola hasn’t released many details about the device. It says it will feature “a round face and premium materials,” and will be available “in a variety of styles globally in Summer 2014, starting in the U.S.”One common feature among Android Wear smartwatches: voice activation. All a person needs to do is say “OK Google” to activate features like scheduling appointments, sending a text and more. Folks, get ready to get your Dick Tracy on.Related: Pebble (Finally) Opens Its App Store to Android Users 2 min read This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience.
Selfie drones are a thing. We’ve seen a few models with the sole purpose of following you around, taking video and snapping pictures of you when you’re adventuring or doing something as banal as grocery shopping.The Hover Camera Passport, on display at CES, is another of these small, portable aircraft. It has some design advantages when compared with others we’ve reviewed, including the Dobby, in that its rotors are protected by a plastic cage. This prevents them from getting damaged in flight, and prevents you from inadvertent injury.It sports a camera that can capture stills at 13-megapixel quality and video at 4K resolution. And, because of it small, lightweight design, no FAA registration is required. The Passport is controlled via a smartphone app (Android and iOS are supported), and can track your movements based on the location of your phone, or track a subject using facial recognition.The folding design is a big plus for folks who want to own a drone, but not a serious high flyer like the DJI Phantom 4. It can fly at speeds up to 17mph (about a third of what the Phantom is capable of), but while you can take a big drone and fly it up to a mile away from home base, Hover Camera recommends that you keep the Passport within 65 feet (20 meters) of your phone. A short battery life is a big reason for that — you can expect it to hover in place for just 10 minutes on a fully charged battery.It’s on sale now, but you may balk at the $599 price, which is a lot to ask for a personal selfie drone. You can get a very capable DJI Phantom 3 Standard for less, after all. But if you love capturing your own image, and want to put an aerial spin on your selfies, the Passport looks like a promising option for narcissists with deep pockets. This story originally appeared on PCMag Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now January 5, 2017 Enroll Now for Free 2 min read This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience.
Share Travelweek Group << Previous PostNext Post >> Posted by Thursday, December 8, 2016 PALMA DE MALLORCA — Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas has reopened after an extensive US$23 million refurbishment.The renovation brings the total number of rooms up to 692, with 44 new junior suites with private swimming pool, as well as eight new jacuzzi suites.All the communal areas of the hotel have been made over as well, plus there’s a new Indian restaurant, Bombay.The list of bars has extended by a further three to make seven: Lounge 24 (open 24 hours a day), the patisserie and ice cream parlour Capuchino and the Beach club with its chill-out area.Two swim-up bars have been expanded and a second gym has been added next to the beach. New junior suites, jacuzzi suites at reopened Riu Palace Cabo San Lucas
Travelweek Group Monday, March 5, 2018 TORONTO — From now until March 9 Sunwing is offering select vacation packages, including March as well as April departures, at up to half the regular price, plus up to 30% off pre-booked excursions and savings for Florida too.Families can take advantage of savings with stays at Viva Wyndham Maya resort in Riviera Maya, says the tour operator. A Sunwing Favourite, this all-inclusive resort combines a convenient location close to Playa Del Carmen with numerous family-friendly amenities such as the action-packed Viva Kids Club, rock-climbing wall and trapeze.Groups of friends or larger families can save at the popular Tropical Princess Beach Resort and Spa in Punta Cana, where there’s a high number of repeat guests, notes Sunwing. Set on Bavaro Beach, this resort offers spacious rooms that can accommodate up to five guests.Another consistently popular beachfront resort included in this promotion is Riu Montego Bay which offers a host of complimentary activities and amenities from water sports and evening entertainment to a large pool featuring a swim-up bar. Sunwing vacationers also enjoy varied RIUtopia benefits that include reservation-free dining at all restaurants (which includes a Jamaican Jerk BBQ), in-room liquor dispensers, regularly re-stocked mini bars and spa discounts.More news: GLP Worldwide introduces first-ever Wellness programsWith its Spring Sale, already underway, Sunwing is also offering discounts up to 30% on pre-booked excursions. The discount is available until March 15 and good towards select excursions departing between March 25 and May 31.The tour operator is also offering savings of up to $160 per couple on Florida flights and vacation packages, also good for bookings made by March 9. Posted by Tags: Promotions, Sunwing March Madness prices with Sunwing’s latest sale Share << Previous PostNext Post >>
MIAMI — Through April 17 Norwegian Cruise Line passengers who book select three-day or longer cruise in an ocean view category stateroom or above will see their government taxes, fees and port expenses waived.The cruise line’s ‘Tax-Free Spree’ promotion applies to the first and second guest and is not applicable to Sail Away Categories (categories IX, OX, BX or MX).More than 430 departures are part of the sale, from the Med to the Caribbean. Tax-Free Spree is also combinable with the Free at Sea promotion.Additional April value offers include:FREE AT SEA – EXTENDED: NCL’s Free at Sea has been extended through April 30, offering passengers who book a new three-day or longer cruise their choice of up to five free offers including free unlimited open bar, US$50 credit per stateroom that can be applied towards shore excursions in each port, a free specialty dining package, 250-minute internet package, or Norwegian’s Friends & Family Sail Free offer which allows third and fourth passengers to sail for free on select cruises.DISTINCTIVE VOYAGES OFFER – EXTENDED: Norwegian’s Distinctive Voyages offer is also extended, through May 31. On select seven-day or longer cruises, passengers get five additional amenities that include 120-minute phone call package, 250-minute Internet package, $50 credit per stateroom that can be applied towards shore excursions in each port, up to $400 in air credit and $100 hotel credit for a pre- or post-cruise stay. The offer is also combinable with Free at Sea. The offer not applicable to Sail Away categories (categories IX, OX, BX or MX).FREE AT SEA ALL-INCLUSIVE – EXTENDED: Now through April 30, passengers who reserve a new three, four or five-day Bahamas or Cuba voyage on Norwegian Sun or Norwegian Sky can take advantage of Norwegian’s Free at Sea All-Inclusive promotion. Again this offer is not applicable to Sail Away categories (categories IX, OX, BX or MX).FREE AT SEA HAWAII – EXTENDED: Norwegian’s Free at Sea Hawaii offer, now available through April 30, offers special Free At Sea deals for passengers booking a new cruise vacation aboard Pride of America, the only ship to sail seven-day inter-island itineraries roundtrip from Honolulu all year.More news: Flight Centre Travel Group takes full ownership of Quebec-based agencyAll offers are subject to availability at the time of reservation and additional terms and conditions may apply. Share Travelweek Group Tags: Norwegian Cruise Line, Promotions Taxes, fees, port charges waived with NCL’s Tax-Free Spree sale Tuesday, April 3, 2018 << Previous PostNext Post >> Posted by